Saturday, July 03, 2021

Daily Favorites: Brats with Homemade Pickles and Pickled Onions



After I figured out how to do hot dogs and chili cheese dogs, my mind went to brats next. 

I knew I didn't want to compromise on turkey brats or anything like that. So with two brats coming in at 520 calories, to keep a meal under 600, any sort of bun was off the table. Once again, the first solution in healthy eating is just eat your protein on your plate without the usual bread/bun/tortilla. 

But plain brats seemed too boring. What could I serve to complement them? I had been planning on caramelized onions for a long time. (And I might just do that with the uncooked brats in my fridge.) But I thought that making my own pickles and pickled onions would bring a nice freshness and acidity that would go well with the rich meat. 

For the pickled onions I followed this recipe with rice vinegar. 
For the pickles, I followed this recipe.

For the brats, I poached at a simmer in water for 10 minutes. Then browned in a pan on medium-low. If I had beer in the house, I would have poached them in that. But I didn't. Brats still turned out great, very juicy. 

The whole dish worked well. Although the pickles aren't as good as the bar pickles I recently had in Billings. But for my first time making them, not bad.

Probably won't make this that often, but nice to know when summer rolls around and I'm in the mood for brats, I know how to fit them in easily. 

No comments:

Post a Comment