Friday, May 14, 2021

Daily Favorites: Chili Cheese Dogs


Loyal viewers might remember this classic gif of my chili cheese dog from five years ago. I put this on my cravings list about two months ago and then realized that I could try and work it into this series instead of saving it for a cheat meal. 

The key to making it work was finding the 60-calorie lean beef hot dogs. The entire can of Wolf Brand no bean chili is over 600 calories, but there's enough in the can for 6 hot dogs.

So 130 for bun + 60 for dog + 100 for chili + 60 for cheese = 350 for a chili cheese dog. 2 of these and that's a solid lunch. 

Which I did. And it was delicious. 

But I thought to myself, what really makes this good is the chili, the cheese and the hot dog. If I took out the buns, I could have more of the good stuff. 

So I made this dish a second way for dinner: 


It's hard to see, but there are three beef hot dogs under there, split open. Once I topped it with chili, onion and cheese, I put it under the broiler on low for a few minutes. Didn't take long to melt the cheese.

Three dogs at 180 + three servings of chili at 300 + 220 of cheese. We've kept the cals at 700 while increasing the number of hot dogs from 2 to 3. 

This is the way to go. 

It ate on the plate like enchiladas. More saucy, more meaty, more cheesy. I added cayenne pepper and Crystal hot sauce to the chili to give it a little heat. 

Removing the buns was a revelation for this dish. It took it from good to great. I could even add a little diced, charred poblano, but I wouldn't want to add too many more ingredients and distract from what's working so well.

A good healthy solution for many recipes is to remove the bun/bread/tortilla and just turn the dish into a bowl or eat it on a plate. This is the first time that it vastly improved the taste of the dish.

4 comments:

  1. Dang, this sounds great! Probably helps that I saw it just as my stomach growled for dinner 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you tried to explain to people, yeah I lose weight by eating chili cheese dogs and Italian hoagies, they would think I'm nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! It really is all about the ingredient selection and portions :)

    ReplyDelete