Sunday, May 02, 2021

Daily Favorites: Toasted Italian Hoagie


So same recipe as the cold hoagie, but baked in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Yes, this is baked and not toasted, but toasted sounds more appetizing. I assembled and baked in the style of the Italian grinder shop I worked at in high school. (Yes, I specifically worked there because they had great sandwiches.) This method means mayo and cheese on one side, meats on the other. This way both the cheese and the meats get direct heat and none of the bread gets crusty on the inside. I used my wire rack and both sides of the bread do get crusty on the outside, which is what we want.

Wonderful things happen to this sandwich in the oven. The cheese gets melted. The pepperoni crisps and cups and drips down on to the ham. And as I mentioned, the bread is nicely toasted on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside. 

I debated about if I should omit the lettuce and onion and if I should bake the cherry peppers or apply later. I decided to do the first version as the same recipe as cold as I didn't want to be missing the vinegar bite that makes the cold one so good. 

So even though I described all the good things that happen to this hoagie in the oven, I actually prefer the cold version. The toppings really bring that to life and the cold lettuce and peppers plays nicer with the cold bread and cold meat. It just feels super fresh and lively in each bite. In the hot version, the cold and hot ingredients don't play as nice. So I think next time, I should just go with the peppers in the oven, and skip the onions and lettuce. (Maybe peppers between the ham and pepperoni so the pepperoni can still get the direct heat and drip onto the peppers too. I mean, I could bake the onions too, but it just seems like it might be better without.) That way, I don't have to add anything after it comes out, and just enjoy a hot hoagie all the way through. 

Still, at this point I'm just nitpicking and fine-tuning. This sandwich was super delicious. Hard to believe I can eat something this good for 600 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment