Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Daily Favorites: Zesty Chicken Legs

 

I discovered a long time ago that chicken legs are the cheapest cut you can buy. The popularity of wings has driven prices up, but legs are still a steal. Of course, in the eleven years since I last posted about chicken legs, I don't know that I've made them once. Time to fix that. 

I found this recipe on Delish. Chicken is the all-pro on the Daily Favorites roster, scoring off the charts on tasty, filling and caloric value. I'm always looking for ways to get chicken the ball. (I named it Zesty so that my collection of Daily Favorites would be complete from A to Z.) I marinated the chicken the night before this dinner, so about a 20 hour marinade time. It was a generous but good amount for five chicken legs. 

Marinade

1/4 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki 

drizzle of olive oil

juice of one lemon

3 minced garlic cloves

salt, pepper, and red pepper flake


The entire Delish recipe is just marinate and bake. Right before I popped them in the oven, I did a little experiment. I added smoked paprika to one leg and parsley and pepper to another. I left three just as-is. 

I baked at 420 for 30 minutes on a wire rack. Halfway through I flipped, which is how I messed up the coating on the paprika one. Should have just left it alone. 

The verdict? All were good. The marinade is a winner. But the best one was the paprika. The parsley and pepper was also better than the plain. Glad I trusted my instincts and didn't just follow the recipe only.

Next time I would stick with the marinade and just go smoked paprika on all legs. But the cooking time was perfect. Would have been really great with a vegetable or flavored rice on the side.

Definitely shouldn't go 11 years without having chicken legs again.

No comments:

Post a Comment