Friday, May 07, 2021

Daily Favorites: Salsa Verde Tacos

 

I debated on the name for a while. I prefer flour tortillas so Street Tacos isn't quite right. The name Tacos by itself didn't quite do it justice. I have the word Chicken in too many recipes. Eventually I landed on naming it after the salsa. 

I've been making these chicken tacos for years. 


Assembly

Warm, soft flour tortillas with light sour cream

Seasoned chicken, onion

Salsa verde, lime, jalapenos, cilantro


These tortillas are 100 calories each so each taco is about 250. Two makes a nice meal at 500.

I considered making my own salsa verde using this video recipe, but honestly, it was more effort than I was looking for. I was already shopping for 5 recipes at a time, I didn't want to have to buy a ton of ingredients just for one component. So I got the Frontera salsa verde and gave it some extra lime and cilantro. Maybe when I'm out of new recipes to try, I can come back and make my own salsa verde. I'm sure it's way better. 

The salsa wasn't bad but wasn't as good as the Qdoba salsa verde either. In a pinch, I've done a number of tacos with just tortilla, chicken, sour cream and some habanero hot sauce. Also, Guerrero flour tortillas are so much better than Mission. 

These tacos are a nice middle ground, as they do feel indulgent (though not as much) like the nachos but also feel healthier and more filling (like the burrito bowl). Good stuff.

Update: I made these again this time making my own cream sauce of sour cream, cilantro and jarred, minced jalapenos. Good but not necessarily better by mixing together. I did add some Smoked Tabasco and that was a great addition. As long as you have a soft tortilla and well-seasoned chicken, these tacos are going to be hard to mess up. Each time you can add slightly different components and it should work well. Truth be told, I'm leaning toward hot sauce over jalapenos at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment