Thursday, May 20, 2021

Daily Favorites: Hot Carnitas Hoagie

 

This is one of the best things I've ever made. One of the best things I've ever eaten. This sandwich blows the Cubano out of the water. 

- - -

Two days ago, I made a spicy Cubano and it tasted flat. So in the post I brainstormed a new sandwich to address my issues. 

This sandwich starts with Trader Joe's carnitas. Got them hot in the microwave, shredded, generously seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic+. Put down a light layer of sour cream on the bottom bun, topped with my carnitas, and two slices of pepper jack off a block. Put it on a wire rack to broil on low until the cheese melted. 

The top bun which had nothing on it got browned pretty quickly, so I removed that part and left the bottom in there for a few more minutes. 

Meanwhile I topped the top bun with lime crema (light sour cream + lime juice), cilantro, red onions with squeeze of lime juice, and jarred jalapenos. 

By the time I did that, my cheese was perfectly browned. 

- - -

The taste for this was out of this world. The seasoned carnitas were drastically improved, there was spice from the pepper jack and the jalapenos, good crunch from the onions, herbiness from cilantro, and plenty of acid from the lime crema and extra lime juice. 

I'm very pleased that I was able to take a popular sandwich, identify ways to improve it for my palate, and actually have it turn out so well. 

- - -

But let's check our calories:

Hoagie roll: 210

Carnitas: 200ish

Pepper Jack: 110

Light Sour Cream: 35

I might have used slightly more than one 200-cal serving of carnitas, so let's say this whole thing is 600 cals. 

So an incredible tasting sandwich, that's also quick and easy to make, and perfectly fits my calorie goals to be an every day part of a healthy lifestyle. This is a hall of famer.

No comments:

Post a Comment