Saturday, May 29, 2021

Daily Favorites: Pita Pizzas




I love pizza. I love eating entire pizzas. 

This is not the best pizza. But it is good. And it allows me to eat an entire pizza for 350 cals or less. So I could have two of these for lunch, or one plus something else that's a good size. One is decently filling. It's very satisfying to eat a whole one of these, compared to just having a slice or two of a carryout pizza. 

- - -

Also, quick and easy because we're using store-bought ingredients. The venn diagram between low-calorie and lazy has a delicious overlap. I got these pitas at Sprouts for 180 calories. I think Trader Joe's has pitas that have even less, but they might be a touch smaller, not sure. 

For the sauce, I just grabbed a jar of Sprouts organic pizza sauce. I added salt, pepper, oregano and touch of balsamic, 30 seconds in the microwave, and the sauce is ready. You only need a thin layer, so it doesn't seem worth it to make a whole sauce just for this. The sauce only adds like 10 calories. 

A serving of shredded mozzarella was 80 calories. I added a little bit of shredded cheddar for color and went mostly cherry peppers, red onion and a little pepperoni. About 8 minutes in a 400F oven. 

So yeah, 350 calories for a whole pita pizza. When you're getting toppings, sauce and cheese in every bite, it's hard to complain.

And the crust, it actually works quite well. It's not as thin as a tortilla. It has some crispy-ness but plenty of doughy-ness too so it doesn't feel like you're eating a cracker. I actually did a taste test with a 220-calorie mini pizza crust, and it was no better or worse. So you save on calories with the pita, and they're more versatile as well. I'm a fan. 

2 comments:

  1. Technical question: Did you cut the pita in half to open it or just put the ingredients on top? Is it a traditional (pocket) pita?

    Also, do magic pizzas have magic calories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditional pita with pocket, but just went ingredients on top.

    ReplyDelete