Saturday, May 08, 2021

Daily Favorites: Poblano con Queso Tacos

 

Niraj sent me this video link as a recommendation for this series. I was skeptical at first. Two ingredients? Poblano and cheese? Is that really enough to make a good taco?

Let's find out. 

I turned my oven broiler on high. Deseeded a poblano and just put it on a pan on the middle rack. I broiled it for about 10 minutes, rotating every couple of minutes until it was as charred as I wanted it. Meanwhile, I forgot to wash my hands after deseeding the poblano and OH MY GOD MY RIGHT EYE IS ON FIRE. I had successfully handled a jalapeno earlier making sure to immediately wash my hands, but I wasn't thinking the poblano packed the same punch. JESUS CHRIST, I NEED TO ROTATE THE PEPPER BUT ONE OF MY EYES JUST GAVE UP ON LIFE. 

A few minutes of rinsing my eye, I was back to normal and my pepper was charred to my liking. Great success!

I diced it up and was ready to go. I had my tortillas warming up on my electric griddle and had a pan over medium-low heat. I had a bunch of pepper jack leftover from the round of hoagies, so I used that. It was already portioned into 80-cal slices, so I went with it. 

I prepped a tortilla with sour cream and then had lime and cilantro ready to go as toppings. I kept this round vegetarian to really taste the flavors. 

It was really good. I had planned on having two but ended up having three. The charred poblano brings a great flavor, just a little heat and does pair excellently with the melted jack cheese. If I wasn't trying to be healthy, you could easily add twice the cheese. 

No changes needed for next time. Just remember to wash my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment