Monday, November 16, 2020

My Teams on My Birthday

Back in college, it seemed like Illinois football always played Northwestern around my birthday (11/22) as the last game of the season. Illinois was pretty bad and not usually in bowl contention, but I at least thought beating Northwestern was attainable and a good way to end the season. And then this year, not only are the Chiefs playing on my birthday, but it's the Raiders (traditionally the most hated rival), it's a revenge game, and it's a national prime time game. 

Leading up to Sunday, I figured it would be fun to take a look back at the history of what's happened when my teams play on my birthday. 

I'll be counting Illinois and Chiefs since 2001, and Avalanche since 2011 when I moved to Colorado. 


First up, some notable games that were close, but not actually on my birthday. 

11/24/01 Illinois vs Northwestern - Illinois wins to secure a BCS berth in the Sugar Bowl

11/23/02 Illinois at Northwestern - Illinois wins to go 4-4 in the Big Ten

11/23/03 Chiefs vs Raiders - Chiefs win to improve to 10-1, giving me real hope that KC would go to the Super Bowl or at least win a playoff game

11/20/04 Illinois at Northwestern - Illinois loses the last football game for me as a student, going 1-7 in the Big Ten

11/20/10 Illinois vs #25 Northwestern in Chicago - Illinois ran all over a ranked Wildcats team in Wrigley Field, winning 48-27, and clinching a bowl game. LeShore set a school record with 330 rushing yards.

11/21/10 Chiefs vs Cardinals - Mrs. Hoagie Central and I attended this game in person, as part of a birthday weekend trip to Kansas City. Chiefs won big and I ate a ton of barbecue. Win-win.

11/27/16 Chiefs at Broncos - Yes, this was a full 5 days after. But it was one of the best Chiefs games I've ever seen. My last Chiefs-Broncos game as a Denver resident, the OT doink winner. Never forget. 


Birthday Games

11/22/03 Illinois vs Northwestern - loss

11/22/04 Chiefs vs Patriots - loss

11/22/08 Illinois at Northwestern - loss

11/22/09 Chiefs vs Steelers - The 2-7 Chiefs were hosting the 6-3 Steelers as a 9.5 home underdog. Won in overtime. Great game. 

11/22/14 Illinois vs Penn State - win, don't remember this at all

11/22/14 Avalanche vs Hurricanes - Mrs. Hoagie Central and I attended this game in person, the only Avs game that we went to together. And it was the first time since I became a fan that they came back from a late deficit and won in regulation. Awesome win. 

11/22/15 Chiefs at Chargers - This was the year the Chiefs started 1-5, but then rallied to 11-5 and give me the first Chiefs playoff win of my life. A blowout win on my birthday was great, and lead to something even better.

11/22/17 Avalanche vs Stars - win, don't remember this one


So there you go, I'm on a 5-game winning streak on my birthday. I haven't seen the Chiefs lose on my birthday since 2004. See you Sunday night. 

1 comment:

  1. My birthday is at the end of January. I wonder how many Lions games have been played then.

    ReplyDelete